Monday, October 3, 2011

Ben's Birds



Here's my collective post for the theme "Birds Birds Birds".  It features Black and White from Tekkonkinkreet, a favorite film of mine. I've wanted to draw these guys for a while now and I haven't drawn a city-scape in ages so I thought I'd try do the both here.

And as always I tried something new here too. I reversed my halftone dots, so instead of using the actual dots themselves I used the area around them. Just thought it would give me a more 'square-er' feel when sorting out the building silhouette.

I had a lot of fun with this one. I kept it B&W for obvious reasons. Since the theme was about birds I tried my best to keep them as much a character as Black and White are in this piece.  I like the idea of the crow resting on blacks club and White playing with the only dove in the whole city.

White's imagination is a great element to play with. In the film about half the things he's interacting with aren't really there and some times he just floats in mid air. I thought I'd have him play with a dove that may or may not actually be there, that's up to you.

I'll blog again soon, laters!

3 comments:

Grace Chan said...

I likes it Ben! :D

Animation Mentor is bring the critic out in me ^^; Can't.... resist!

The city bg scape seems to have a top line, where everythings on the same kinda level. It'd be cool to break up the space a bit if the smoke from the chimney stack drifted higher up the page.

But yeah, looks awesome. Nice work. Keep a posting!

Bennessy said...

cheers nice one grace, I'll edit that

Bennessy said...

all sorted now grace, thanks again!